Monday, December 22, 2014

Sweet and Spicy Candied Pecans

I included recipe in my Christmas cookie boxes. I made a test batch for us of course. I upped the heat because I wanted to actually taste it. Maybe I should have changed the name to something more Texan-y. Pecans and peppers are very Texan. Bluebonnet? Mighty Bears? Remember the Alamo? I think Sweet and Spicy is a perfectly descriptive name for a really delicious treat.





Sweet and Spicy Candied Nuts
Barely Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

86.25g (~6T) dark-brown sugar*
100g (.5 C) Granulated Sugar
21.15 g (1 T) honey (I used orchard honey but more floral varieties would be fine)
1/5 t kosher salt
.75 t cumin
1 t ground cinnamon
1 lb walnut and/or pecan halves, raw
1 egg white, room temperature
1 T water

1. Preheat over to 300 F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper
2. Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, cumin, and cinnamon until no lumps remain
3. Beat the egg white, honey, and water in a large until frothy
4. Add the nuts to egg white mixture and coat evenly
5. Toss nuts with sugar mixture until coated evenly
6. Spread the nuts on the parchment paper in an even layer
7. Bake for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent clumps and to watch for burning
8. Cool the nuts on parchment paper, breaking apart any that have stuck together

*If using light-brown sugar replace the water with molasses and use 6 grams LESS brown sugar

These are great room temperature or chilled. I think the spice comes out more when chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment