Wednesday, November 21, 2012

PA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie (Bot Boi)

I realized I have an awful lot of desserts on here. In an effort to at least make it seem like we eat healthy, I thought I'd post my version of a staple in the area where I grew up. I say my version as it seems to have as many versions as the chocolate chip cookie but without a default like Tollhouse. Like most good recipes, Chicken Pot Pie recipes are often passed down through the generations. My family, being relatively new to the region, doesn't have their own version so I've cobbled together several I've found online into something  I remember having all over the area (even at Chocolate World) . Because this is my own recipe, I felt like including the actual directions as opposed to a link.

Now before we get into the directions, I should probably describe what I mean by Chicken Pot Pie. According to a couple links here and there (and Wikipedia) it derives from the older Germanic word "bot(t) boi" which references a type of soup using a protein, starch(es), vegetables, and a vegetable/meat stock. And like so many words, it's become a more recognizable phrase "Pot Pie". In most "you know you're from ______ when...." lists that relate in some way to region you'll see something along the lines of "You think of pot pie as a soup". This is why. It's filling, and relatively easy. And you can stretch is a pretty long ways (as is this recipe can last me for more than a week, I made a pot a week and a half ago when it was just Olive and me at home and there's still several containers in the freezer.)


You *will* need a large soup pot for this recipe, my 5qt dutch oven is insufficient to hold all of this at once, so I usually use too little water and then reserve ~1.5 C of stock in a bowl until the soup is being scooped out and then add it back in.


First things first, you need the stock or broth. I only have made this from a whole chicken but pieces would probably work and I've been told you can get similar results from precooked chicken and chicken stock but I've never tried it so... you're on your own for that. I've included the vegetables you can use. I've found that they tend to lend too strong of a flavor and I did an Olive-with-a-bite-of-peanut-butter impression trying to figure out what was wrong after my last attempt- but DH likes it so it's up to you.

Stock:
2-3lb chicken, offal removed, skin optional (most grocery stores will have very little under 4lbs, you will have better luck at a farmer's market or butcher)
1 medium onion, in wedges (optional)
2 carrots, unpeeled, chunked (optional)
3-4 stalk celery, broken into chunks (optional)
Water, enough to cover the chicken

In that large pot I mentioned, arrange the chicken and and if you desire, vetables. Fill pot enough to cover chicken (or near enough, usually even young chickens are taller than my pot). Simmer for 2-3 hours until meat is starting to pull away from the bones. Keep an eye on the pot, it will boil over if unwatched (that proverb about an watched pot? Totally true and it will boil over with a vengeance). Turn heat off. Remove and discard vegetables if applicable. Remove chicken (it may crumple in on itself). Once cool, use tongs or forks to separate meat from bone, skin, and gristle. Cover chicken and put in fridge. Similarly, cover stock and cool in fridge. Skim fat off the surface.

Noodles:
3 Cups AP flour, plus more for dusting
1 T shortening (butter flavored or original)
1 egg (brown or white, your preference, preferrably large)
1/2-3/4 C water
Pinch Salt

This is best to be done right before you want to start making the soup as they need to dry *at least* 20 minutes before putting them in the soup. I usually dry for at least an hour. In a large bowl combine flour, shortening, egg, and salt. Mix them together (I use a pastry cutter initially). Alternate mixing and a small amount of water. Use just enough water to bind, not enough to make sticky. At this point I usually use my hands because I get impatient and dump in the last 1/4 cup water and then regret it because I have to use more flour which I don't want.

Seperate dough into 2-4 lumps. On a floured surface (I use the back of my wooden cutting board), roll out 1/8-1/4" thick and cut into squares roughly 1 1/2-2" on each side. These do not need to be that pretty. When I get to just edges, I give up and call it rustic. Dust off most of the flour on the surface of the noodles. Lay out the pieces (don't overlap) to dry.

Soup:
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
2 cups celery, chopped
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1-3 T Dried Parsley (to taste)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Chicken Meat, cut or shredded into bite-sized chunks
Chicken and Vegetable Stock
Pot Pie Noodles

Warm up stock. Once simmering, add vegetables and seasoning. Feel free to add more vegetables than I listed here, I think it could maybe use more carrots but that's just me. Cook for 20 minutes or so. At this point judge if the rest of your ingredients will overflow your pot and remove enough stock to prevent this, reserve for later. Add the pot pie noodles, a few at a time and stirring near constantly. They will stick together if you aren't careful and get doughy. They may look like they are too many to make sense, but trust me, this is to stretch it farther. And they are delicious. Cook noodles until tender, around 7 minutes. Carefully add in chicken meat. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.


Serve in a salad plate (shallow, wide bowl).

No comments:

Post a Comment