Thursday, December 18, 2014

It's a Start Oatmeal


This a good basic oatmeal recipe, you can add fruit in the baking or when you reheat it, you can add nuts, yogurt, what have you. Really it is all about ratios. I make some variation every week but alter the volume depending on if DH is eating as well, if we're going out of town, etc. Everything after the flax is just to make a flavored base, I add allspice, clove, etc if I want more of a pie oatmeal, scale back the ginger for DH, stir in a heaping spoonful of nut butter or apple butter, add fruit puree (even sweet potato)...


You Need:
1 C Steel Cut Oats (I've had better luck with Harris Teeter Organic than Trader Joe's, not sure why)
2 C Water
2 C Milk (of choice, I use unsweetened vanilla or original almond)
1-2 T ground flax
3 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 - 1 t ground ginger


1. (Opt) Soak the oats in the water overnight, at least. I tend to soak for 16-24 hours. Supposedly, people say it tastes sour with a longer soak but I haven't noticed anything. Soaking them should result in a shorter cook time.
2. Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom pot, I use our dutch oven.
3. Bring to boil, and simmer, stirring regularly for 10-15 minutes. At this point, the grains should be visible near the surface of the liquid and look much softer.
4. Cover and shut off heat. Let steam for 20+ minutes. If it looks like the grains haven't absorbed enough liquid, apply more heat but stir regularly.

Oatmeal can keep for up to a week in a sealed, refrigerated container.

No comments:

Post a Comment