Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Baked Falafel and Homemade Tzatziki

I've tried fried falafel, both homemade and at restaurants and while they're good - the oil upsets my stomach (no surprise there, what doesn't these days.) There are a number of recipes out there for falafel both baked and fried, so I cobbled a number together to make a mostly baked version. DH and I both liked the result. I had mine on a salad but DH had his on tortilla (I know pitas are traditional but I didn't want the extras hanging around the house and we needed tortillas for another meal that week.) Using Tori Avey's notes on cooking chickpeas, I used only soaked chickpeas for this recipe to let them have a better chance of holding together. I've made this with canned as well but tried frying them, let's just say our frying technique needs a little (lot) of work, not something we'll probably get around to improving unless I'm really craving fasnachts one year.




Based off Oh She Glows's Falafel with a Twist, Cookie + Kate's Crispy Baked Falafel, and Tori Avey's Traditional Falafel

You will need:


- 2 1/4 cups soaked, uncooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup packed chopped parsley
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 2-3 T whole wheat flour (add 2 then add more if needed to hold together)
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- pinch ground cardamom
- pinch red pepper or cayenne
- 1-2 T lemon juice
- olive oil or high smoke point oil (sunflower, grapeseed, etc)

1. Combine all ingredients in food processor until between couscous and paste (Torie Avery suggests a course meal)
2. Make sure all chickpea chunks are broken up
3. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours (I refrigerated 3 because of when I started making dinner)
4. Preheat oven to 350
5. Heat large cast iron skillet (I needed both of mine to not crowd) with a little oil, enough to coat the bottom
6. Form into patties using about 2 T of mixture for each, use 1/4 cup if you want larger falafel or patties. 2 T yields ~12 falafel
7. Place patties in skillet(s) and brown on both sides before sticking in the oven
8. Bake for 5 minutes on each side


Alternative cooking methods: You can fry these in 1 1/2 inches of high-smoke point oil (2-3 minutes a side) but may need to add more binder. You can also use less oil and still cook them on the stove, just browning them.

To Serve: On a pita with red onion, hummus, tomatoes or on a salad with similar. I add a Tzatziki sauce for salads because why not.

The recipe for the Tzatziki is as follows (note, I do use dairy yogurt for this recipe, I hate the taste of coconut yogurt and that's the only non-dairy yogurt our main grocery store stocks- but if you can find a neutral tasting non-dairy yogurt, go for it.)

You will need:
1 1/2 cups Greek Yogurt (I use Fage 0% since they're the only ones with actually 0mg of cholesterol per serving)
1 large Cucumber, peeled, cored, and chopped or shredded
1/2 cup Fresh Dill, chopped
1-2 t Sea Salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T lemon juice
Splash olive oil

1. Salt the cucumber and let drain for 30 minutes
2. Squeeze dry the cucumber
3. Combine all ingredients
4. Taste a day later to season to taste (I tend to up the salt and lemon juice)

Note: Tzatziki is best the next day but I've made it the same day without any problems but at least make it the same time as the falafel mixture to meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment