Saturday, November 15, 2014

Slightly-Southern Gluten-Free Cornbread

To go with my Smokey Quinoa Chili at the going-away party, I made a loaf of sourdough (King Arthur's Extra-Tangy, as written) and a skillet of cornbread. I'm calling this slightly-Southern because I'm not sweetening but I think the addition of oat flour means it's a little too out there to be true Southern cornbread. For reference, I warmed the loaves up in the oven for a few minutes, wrapped them in fabric napkins and placed them in a bread basket.





I've started using weights for most things that aren't in measuring spoons. It's more accurate. I would ditch the spoons but my kitchen scale doesn't show accurate enough numbers for anything under 1.5 grams. 

This is adapted from Alton Brown's Cornbread No Chaser from I'm Just Here for More Food  and Keepin' it Kind's Vegan, Gluten-Free Skillet Cornbread

You Need:
255 g (1.5 cups) stone ground cornmeal
1.25 cups minus 1 t milk (use your favorite variety, if you have access to buttermilk, omit the ACV and use a full 1.25 cups)
1 t Apple Cider Vinegar
3 T ground flax
6 T lukewarm water
1.5 tsp kosher salt (when I was writing this recipe, DH made a Psalty joke, I'm still confused why)
140 grams flour (substitute your favorite flour here, I used oat)
1 T baking powder
1 t xanthum gum (omit if you are using a wheat flour or don't mind slightly crumbly cornbread)
95 grams (.5 cup) neutral tasting oil (you can substitute 2-4 T for a liquid sweetener if you really want)
1 T solid fat (I used vegan butter, real butter works, coconut would probably work as well, I know lard is a staple back home)

1. Preheat oven with the skillet inside to 425
2. Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes, add the cornmeal and let sit another 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the water and ground flax, let sit for at least 5-10 minutes.
4. Whisk together your remaining dry ingredients
5. Melt the fat in the skillet and swirl around until the bottom is covered, stick back in the oven to keep hot.
6. Add the flax mixture and the oil to the cornmeal slurry, whisk well.
7. Add the slurry to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
8. Quickly pour the batter into the hot skillet and stick back in the oven.
9. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown and tester comes out mostly clean
10. Let it sit in the skillet for 5-10 minutes then carefully remove to cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment