Saturday, August 30, 2014

Spiced Roasted Chickpea Variations

When I started my diet change I bought a bag of spiced roasted chickpeas. They were okay but it wasn't amazing. A couple of months ago, I decided to give them a second chance. It was worth it. Usually I have a problem of struggling to make sure the chickpeas make the dinner table. Not sure that's a bad problem to have. There are endless variations too. We've only made savory variations but I imagine sweet variations might be a good option (cinnamon sugar, maybe?) I made a list of so-far untested (by me) variations to get you going on thinking of your own.

Roasted spiced chickpeas offer a variety of variations - Crossing the Delebear




What you need:
Cooked chickpeas (I soak, cook, and freeze my own according to these instructions)
High smoke point oil (I use sunflower oil, many recipes call for olive oil but you're losing the nutrients and flavor and risk smoke cooking at this high of a temperature)
Spices
Silpat or Tin Foil on a jelly roll pan (DH informs me calling it tin foil is a regional thing, whatever you call the silver-colored metal sheets, use that)

Basic Instructions:
Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
Place your chickpeas in a medium bowl
Drizzle a little bit of oil over the chickpeas (I use maybe 2 tsp for 1.5 cups), toss to coat.
Sprinkle your spices over the chickpeas. Toss to coat. You want to be able to see the seasoning.
Dump the chickpeas on your lined pan, spread out.
Bake for 20 minutes, shake to roll the chickpeas around
Bake for 20-25 minutes more. I found a longer bake time keeps the chickpeas crunchier longer
Let sit for 5-10 minutes before eating.

Variations:
Oh She Glow's Salt and Vinegar Chickpeas - I felt the vinegar could be heavier but still good
Greek Dressing Chickpeas- Italian Herbs, Dried Basil, Salt, Pepper
Felafel Chickpeas- Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dried Parsley, Cumin, Paprika, Salt
Basic Spiced Chickpeas- Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Oregano

Untested Variations:
Sour Cream and Onion - onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, dried green onion and/or chives, nutritional yeast or cheese powder
Cinnamon Sugar - cinnamon, sugar (watch this one for burning, maybe hold off toss them in sugar until partly baked)
BBQ - liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, sweet paprika, chili powder, salt, smidge brown sugar
Crab Bake- Old Bay or follow this recipe to make your own (http://leitesculinaria.com/81715/recipes-homemade-old-bay-seasoning-mix.html)
Curry- Yellow Curry, Garam Masala, Paprika
Gumbo- Bouillon cube (crushed for powder), onion powder, garlic powder, file, celery seed, cayenne
Japanese take out - crushed nori, ginger, garlic powder, sesame seed

I think taking inspiration from your favorite potato chip flavors would be good, maybe not the weird Lay's flavors they have out but then Japanese take out could be like their Wasabi Ginger so who knows

No comments:

Post a Comment