Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Baby Quilt for K: Part Two

Now that Baby H is born, I asked K if she wanted a monogram or named embroidered on the back of the quilt. She asked for the first and middle name, which I thought was great. I think she and her DH chose a great name- unique and a nod to her heritage without going "too cultural" (...I was rooting for her to use Sigrid... DH hates the name, if we get another female dog in the future she's likely going to be Anya or Sigrid. Olive was almost Anya, I just couldn't explain to Grandma that we named our dog after a character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer*)


Anyway, it's been years since I've done any embroidery. We learned a little embroidery and cross stitch in Pioneer Girls but that was 15 years ago. So some quick google searches had me running over to the craft store (that's a little too indie for my tastes, not plain fabric in sight, all hand-dyed batiks) to pick up embroidery floss and DH to Micheal's for a smaller hoop.



The Facts:
  • Fabric: N/A
  • Pattern: Self Drafted (used french script font)
  • Year: Early 2010s 
  • Notions: Embroidery needles, embroidery floss
  • Techniques/Tutorials: French Knots (learned at a convention panel 6 years ago), Hand Embroidery Tutorial: How to Personalise a Baby Quilt, Outline Stitch
  • Cost: $2.50
  • Time:About an hour
  • Make Again?: I really want to do more embroidery but embroidered things aren't really our style, so I need to start making stuff for everyone else
*Grandma would say that Buffy (and everyone else) was too "fresh" and therefore I shouldn't watch it. She also said that about the Golden Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment