Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pesto Pasta Soup

DH and I kind of skipped Valentine's Day, I was volunteering in Maryland during the day but on my way home I felt awful and felt awful for another couple days. When I finally felt like cooking (DH did the rest of the days) this is what we had. With the potato-onion base it reminds me of a creamy, less starchy chicken pot pie (sub bacon for chicken of course). I won't say which is better- I felt like this could have benefited from more green (adjusted below)- but it is a fast soup which is always good.





Based off of What's Cooking Pasta

You Will Need:
2 T Olive Oil (you can get away with less if your bacon is particuarly fatty)
4-5 Strips of Smoked Bacon (we use pieces and ends so I eyeballed it), finely chopped (see those big chunks floating about in the bowl? that's why you want smaller)
2 T Butter (unsalted)
1lb Russet Potatoes, finely chopped
1lb Yellow Onion, finely chopped
3 C Chicken Stock
2 C Milk (I used 2% since that's what we had on hand)
5 oz Small Pasta (they recommend conchigliette, we used orichette)
3/4 C Heavy Cream
3-4 T chopped fresh parsley (you could do dried but I wouldn't)
3-4 T Pesto
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot (I used our dutch oven) on medium heat, heat the oil and then add the bacon. Cook for 4-5 minutes. I highly suggest a splatter shield or at least a lid.
Add the butter, potatoes, and onions to the pot and cook for around 12 minutes (I didn't time it), stir frequently.
Add the stock and milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
At this point you should be aware of what pasta you use, conchigliette only needs around 8 minutes but orichette needs longer so I stuck them in immediately after the liquid started to simmer. If you have a shorter cook time (8-10 minutes) then wait those 5 minutes and then stick them in.
Regardless of pasta, cook for 3 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, stirring regularly cook for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment