Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Stained Glass Cake-Bread





I don't think it's a surprise that the Library is one the
most popular place on campus for weddings
, when it's full of
windows like these

I call it the Stained Glass Cake-Bread for two reasons:

1. I agree with Big Bear's Wife that it does look a bit like stained glass and I think of three places with stained glass- the chapel where DH and I had our ceremony, our current church, and the Armstrong-Browning Library at Baylor. I was going to call this the Armstrong-Browning Cake-Bread but somehow that seemed like more of a mouthful.
2. The batter isn't quite a straight quick bread. It reminds me a lot of a shortcake. But I baked in a loaf pan and it was originally labeled bread, so I'll call it a Cake-Bread.




This recipe was made for snacks at church with a chocolate zucchini bread I'll post at a later date. I tweaked the original recipe to fit my diet restrictions and to up the fruit by 50%. I like fruit and I wanted to add more natural sweetness with the fruit, it's prettier too. Also brought in a large pyrex of cut fruit. It balances the donuts that most people bring in on their weeks. I've brought in fruit crumble, pecan muffins and so forth in the past.

This recipe has a lot of room for variation. The fruit can vary on what's in season and your individual tastes. I think a tropical mango banana bread with macadamia nuts would be great (use banana mash instead of apple sauce and add 1/2 cup chopped nuts.)  Other options are nectarine-blueberry, strawberry- peach, strawberry-banana, mango-blueberry, and so on. I would nuts in starting at a 1/2 cup but could probably go as high as a scant cup depending on your crunch preferences. I might make a mango banana nut for our anniversary next year. The Maui cottage we spent the first week of our honeymoon was full of self-pick produce- mangoes, grapefruit, avocados, coconut, limes, bananas, and so on. We were spoiled (our waistlines showed it with that and all the eating out we did, we at very well on our honeymoon.*)







You Will Need:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup +1-2 T whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or butter substitute, room temperature (I used Earth Balance)
1 tsp flax, ground
1 cup white sugar sugar
½ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cup blueberries
1 ½ cup peaches (1-2 peaches)
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. 
  2. Blanch the peaches to peel them (blanch in boiling water 30 seconds, cool in ice bath for 10 seconds, gently apply pressure to remove skin) then dice. Frozen is okay if thawed and drained.   
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the flours (reserving the 1-2 T), baking powder and salt.  
  4. Cream the butter and sugar, add in the applesauce and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Add in the sour cream, repeat.
  5. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
  6. Sprinkle the reserved whole wheat flour on the fruit, this will prevent it from sinking in the bread. Fold into the batter.  
  7. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cake tester will come out mostly clean.
  8. Remove and cool. I did about 30 mn in the pan because it has a softer texture.
  
 

*Food Recommendations: On Maui- Hali'imaile General Store (my favorite meal of the trip), Surfing Goat Dairy (do the tasting tour!), Mama's Fishhouse (This is DH's rec, I was too sick at this point to taste anything), Paia Fish Market, Kimo's, Mala Ocean Tavern. On Oahu- Alan Wong's (expensive but so worth it, we were the last seating and still didn't feel rushed and the staff signed a souvenir menu for each of us since it was our honeymoon) and Burgers on the Edge. In San Diego- U.S. Grant (we only had breakfast there, I highly recommend their french toast) and Hob Nob Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment